Fire & Emergency Careers, And Fire Safety Info/General Fire Safety

Question
Just wanted some tips on after care after outing a paper burning fire.

I had a lot of documents I wanted to get rid of yesterday, I realise I should of got a shredder but wanted rid of them there and then, so I nabbed my steel bin dragged it into the kitchen and dumped the papers inside and cremated them. Sadly I forgot to remove the bin bag attached to the outside, it melted, and while I was confident with controlling the burning I had completely overlooked that there would be smoke, and there was A LOT of it, having finished and aired out the room it still smells like smoke, it also has an acrid odor and a yellow residue on a lot of the surfaces, I didn't smell much better at the time and the left side of my chest hurts a little (it's a similar sensation you get to when you feel something stuck in your throat--only in my chest.

Anyway while I look into getting a shredder are there any health and safety actions and precautions I should be taking, especially with regards to ridding the smell and approaching removing that yellow residue?

Answer
Hello Anna sounds like you had a bit of a problem. First of all I would caution anyone on burning indoors, but I'm sure I don't have to with you now. That smoke that you breathed in has some very nasty stuff in it. Plastics put off all sorts of things. I would not be too concerned with the one time exposure but it's always a good idea to let the doc listen and look at your lungs. As firefighters we try not to inspire any of that stuff but at times it's impossible. Studies have found that the more toxins are produced from a fire that is smoldering and is just putting off games. In other words a burning fire is in some ways safer than one that is out.
You'll have difficulty getting rid of the smell. I would recommend scrubbing all surfaces and repainting those areas that you can. The smell will eventually dissipate.  

Fire & Emergency Careers, And Fire Safety Info

Captain Mike Grove