Fireplace/Firewood stacking to a full cord

QUESTION: I order a full cord of wood delivered every winter from the same vendor.

I have measured out an area which measures 18feet by 4 3/4 feet by 1 1/2 feet which equals 128 or a full cord measurement.

The vender delivers a load which measures 4 feet by 4 feet by 8 feet which also equals 128 a full cord.

each time the load is always short by 12 to 14 feet to my measurement

Shouldn't both above measurements be the same?

ANSWER: Do you have it dumped off or do you have them stack it for you? A cord is generally measured the way you described. 4x4x8. Im not sure what you mean by "short by 12 to 14 feet". Are you talking about the actual amount of wood? If so, regardless of the amount of wood you should always end up with 2 rows of wood, each 4'h x 8'L.

I always have my wood just dumped in my driveway and I stack it. The wood delivery guy is always going to give you a little more than a cord rather than get a call from a customer saying that they stacked it and its not enough.

QUESTION: Thanks John I guess I did not make myself clear so

shouldn't 2 rows of wood each 4 feet high and 8 feet long fit into the same space as one row 18 feet long and 4/3/4 feet high ? The pieces are 18 inches long

I have my wood stacked by the driver

Thanks again

Honestly, the actual measurement will never be exact. Especially to the exact foot. The size and shape of the wood will always be a factor. Odd shaped wood will take up more space when stacked on top of one another than all the wood being more of a uniform shape.

Have the wood delivered and just dropped off. Then stack it yourself if you can. Maybe grab a neighbor to help you if possible. You'll never be short. If anything you'll have more.

My name is John. I'm located on Long Island and have been in the chimney business for 20 years. I have extensive knowledge in all aspects of chimney maintenance and repair. Cleanings, crowns, brickwork, linings, and all types of chimney problems and conditions. As seen on CBS news' Christmas special, "what to do in a worst case scenario"

all experience is hands on. Knowledge is extensive throughout the chimney building, maintenance, and any repair processes

20 years on hands experience