Fireplace/Fire Panel

Question
fire panel
fire panel  
I have a UL KR-38-3 wood burning fireplace. When we purchased the house, it had 3 panels on the inside of the fireplace, on both sides and the back. They are not metal, but some flame retardant material. I believe them to be for decorative purposes, or maybe some heat reflection. The back panel has broken. My question is there any reason why those are required to be in use? The walls of the fire place are metal. I would not want to risk anything by having a fire without them if they are necessary. But donít need them if they are just decorative. Can you advise?

Answer
Yes, those panels are for more than decoration. Theyre to keep the fiebox itself from getting too hot. Take the model and serial numbers and go to a local fireplace dealer or maybe find someone on line and order new panels. They shouldnt be too hard to install

Fireplace

john