Fireplace/Fireplace Mantel

I am renovating my house currently and I am getting a new mantel, I was wondering if I can lower it over those holes in the brick? I am asking because I would like to mount a tv on my fireplace.
I appreciate the help!

The clearance needed between the top of the fireplace opening and any combustablematerial is 18". Now thats based on NYS firecodes and i dont know where you are or whats applicable in your area but that measurement is a good number to go with. Good luck with your renovations

My name is John. I'm located on Long Island and have been in the chimney business for 20 years. I have extensive knowledge in all aspects of chimney maintenance and repair. Cleanings, crowns, brickwork, linings, and all types of chimney problems and conditions. As seen on CBS news' Christmas special, "what to do in a worst case scenario"

all experience is hands on. Knowledge is extensive throughout the chimney building, maintenance, and any repair processes

20 years on hands experience