First Aid/Painful Thumb Nail

Kim wrote at 2011-06-02 02:25:03
Any more follow up to this question? i actually just had kind of the same thing happen to me, and its been really hard to find anything on it online! i was using one of those glider cuticle cutters and it got stuck on my nail, near the cuticle, and ripped just a small hole right above the cuticle. its not as large as yours had been, but its SUPER painful, and the nail bed is really swollen and almost "mushrooming" over the nail itself, if that makes sense. i've been keeping it really clean and covered for the most part, but i'm just worried that its infected, since its so painful and swollen. any luck with your nail as of now?

benny wrote at 2013-08-23 01:14:47
i'm currently going through the same thing.  my hole/mushroom is larger than the one on kristina's hand, not by much.  how did you guys end up?  i'm going in to the doctor tomorrow for a follow up.  they were quite puzzled on what to do also.  

Amanda wrote at 2014-09-22 12:56:47
To everyone that has had this happen too I'm just wondering what the outcome was because this just happened to me 3 days ago and it is so painful and it is around the same size as in the picture. Does the nail grow back normally and when does it stop hurting so bad? I hope to hear something. :) Thanks  

Danielle wrote at 2015-02-26 05:22:57
This same thing just recently happened to me, I am curious as to what happened to all of your nails? Did you let it heal? What did you apply to it? And did the nail grow back? Or start to? I hope to get a reply!!

Roxy wrote at 2016-08-29 04:19:25
Hi Kristina, just came across this post as I have literally the same problem. Whatever became of your wound? Did you go to a doctor? Any advice would help thank you!!

First Aid

Marcus LaBarbera

I am available to answer most questions related to: first aid, pre- hospital medicine, EMT and Paramedic questions, medical transport, critical care transport, ICU/CCU care, sedation, and medicine in general.

I have worked as a NYS Paramedic since 1993 for both community based ambulance companies and large commercial agencies. I Have experience as bike team commander, and shift supervisor for a commercial ambulance. As a member of the Disaster team I was deployed to Louisiana for 20 days following hurricane Katrina. I worked along side the county Haz-Mat team as a "Tox-Medic" with advanced training in treating injuries from chemical agents. Besides my experience on the on the ambulance I have worked in a number of hospital based offices including dialysis and a sleep lab.

I started my EMS career as a NYS CFR (Certified First Responder)in 1989, an EMT in 1991, a Paramedic since 1993, and a CCU transport paramedic since 2005. I currently hold certification as a: NYS Paramedic, Critical Care Transport Paramedic, ACLS/CPR/PALS certified. Advanced Haz-Mat Life Support certified (AHLS). In the past I have taught CPR and ACLS to my coworkers and the local community.