First Aid/Laceration

Question
HI, 4 days ago I cut my finger pretty bad with a chisel and had to go to the hospital. The "doctor" applied steri strips. Now the tissue on the flap part of the cut is turning grey and not clotting. she told me to leave the strips until they come off by themselves. Is there anything wrong with this?

Answer
Typically when they use steri strips they are left on until they fall off. If the cut is still bleeding it would be a good idea to have it looked at by a doctor again as generally by now it should be starting to heal. You will want to get it looked at if you see any signs of infection (swelling, heat, increased pain, increased redness around the laceration, or the presence of pus). Without actually seeing it it is hard to say what the area turning grey could be. If you have immediate concerns about it you can go to the emergency department or you could also make an appointment with your general practitioner.

Let me know if you would like anything clarified further or have more questions.

Julie

First Aid

Julie