First Aid/CPR

I have a full code home care pt. Dx - advanced MD and a trach and no cardiac board.  How do I get her on the floor?

Hello Ellen,

a cardiac board is nice to have though with a standard style bed it's not absolutely necessary for CPR (with air or circulating sand beds it's harder but those specialized beds have a CPR button to deflate the mattress. CPR in it's self is a temporary measure until the patient can receive electrical defibrillator and cardiac medications, (and maybe to condition the chest and heart for better defibrillator when it arrives). The other option is to grab the sheet under the patient (protect the head and spine at all costs) and slide the patient from the bed to the floor if you can do it without injuring the patient.

I hope that answers your question.

First Aid

Marcus LaBarbera

I am available to answer most questions related to: first aid, pre- hospital medicine, EMT and Paramedic questions, medical transport, critical care transport, ICU/CCU care, sedation, and medicine in general.

I have worked as a NYS Paramedic since 1993 for both community based ambulance companies and large commercial agencies. I Have experience as bike team commander, and shift supervisor for a commercial ambulance. As a member of the Disaster team I was deployed to Louisiana for 20 days following hurricane Katrina. I worked along side the county Haz-Mat team as a "Tox-Medic" with advanced training in treating injuries from chemical agents. Besides my experience on the on the ambulance I have worked in a number of hospital based offices including dialysis and a sleep lab.

I started my EMS career as a NYS CFR (Certified First Responder)in 1989, an EMT in 1991, a Paramedic since 1993, and a CCU transport paramedic since 2005. I currently hold certification as a: NYS Paramedic, Critical Care Transport Paramedic, ACLS/CPR/PALS certified. Advanced Haz-Mat Life Support certified (AHLS). In the past I have taught CPR and ACLS to my coworkers and the local community.