First Aid/Cut my finger on Iams Cat Food Can

When I was feeding my cats their Iams canned cat food this morning, I cut the tip of my right thumb on the lid. I washed it with soap and water and have been changing band aids every few hours since. It does not seem to be infected. There was blood but that stopped almost immediately.

I have been out of high school for about 6 years. I think I got a tetanus shot during high school but am not sure. I do know I got one in mid to late 2001. I now have a slight headache. Not to the level of a migraine but a bit higher than normal. I spent much of today in the cold weather outside (temperatures around the 40s fahrenheit) so that could also be the cause.

Should I be worried about the cut? It was a fresh can. I store their food near their litter boxes but do not believe any litter content was on it ( store it in a cabinet right next to their litter boxes, fairly close to the ground). I think a bit of cat food entered my system as a result of the cut. Is this bad? Should I worry or take any action? I appreciate any help you can provide. Thank you.

Hi Jeremy,

It sounds like you have treated yourself correctly.  Ensuring the cut is cleaned with soap and water then covering it is exactly what you would start with.  Keep an eye on it to ensure you do not get an infection.  If any redness, swelling, pain or pus is present, this is an indication of an infection.  I would contact your doctor to find out when your last tetanus was.  Usually you would be ok for many years; however, sometimes depending on how long ago it was the doctor may want you to be updated.

I apologize for not being able to answer sooner.... I was working since 730am and just got home now at 930.  

First Aid

No Longer Available

No Longer Available in this category.

No Longer Available in this category.

No Longer Available in this category.