First Aid/how did i get the fever?

I live alone and i got a fever yesterday. how did i get it without leaving the house?

Hi Ben,

In all likelihood, your fever was at least a few days in the making, assuming that it is a common infection causing it (like a cold or other respiratory infection).  In general, an infection may take several days from the initial time of exposure to begin displaying symptoms.  In that period of time, you have likely been exposed to hundreds of door knobs, thousands of people, and countless other opportunities to catch something which didn't manifest until yesterday.

Additionally, things within your home or brought into it may also harbor these fever causing agents.  Your best protection (as staying indoors doesn't necessarily work well) would be to use disinfecting cleaners on surfaces that are touched and to wash your hands often.

First Aid

Stephen Bernhard

I can assist with answering or finding the answers to questions involving first aid, CPR, emergency first response, and general procedures of the emergency medical services (not specific to any specific organization, but I may be able to shed some light on why they do the things they do).

I am a former EMT-Basic, Police Officer whose duties included medical first response,Basic Life Support and Automated External Defibrillator instructor, Bloodborne pathogens instructor, and I have taught hundreds of students, including hospital, fire and rescue, and police personnel.

Emergency Care and Safety Institute (ECSI)

EMT- Basic certification, American Safety & Health Institute (ASHI) and Emergency Care and Safety Institute (ECSI) certified Basic Life Support (BLS) Instructor-Trainer, Ohio Peace Officers Training Academy certified. I also own and direct HSTA LLC, a BLS instruction company in Southwest Ohio, which also serves as a certified training center through ASHI and an educational center through ECSI.