First Aid/My shoulder

I was playing flute for two hours straight today and my shoulder was in an occward position while I was playing. When I quit playing and tried to take apart the flute to put it away I couldn't fully rotate my shoulder so I pushed on it against a wall and forced it to rotate that direction. Ever since then my shoulder has been In a lot of pain and I can't go to a doctor or the hospital due to a really bad phobia as well as I have no way to get there with out telling my parents. It is my right shoulder and it has been about 7 hours since I did it and the pain is always there but hurts more when I use that arm to support anything or move it and even typing this on my I pad is hurting.

Hello Kal,

It's a little hard to tell exactly what kind of injury you sustained to your shoulder without at least looking at it, rotating it, pressing on it, and maybe x rays or a CT scan?.. I will assume it's a strain and not a tear. Your anti-inflammatory of choice (ibuprofen, naproxen,...). rest the shoulder for a day or two. But if your pain and disability lasts more than a few days I would recommend seeing a doctor.

Good luck, I hope you get better soon.

First Aid

Marcus LaBarbera

I am available to answer most questions related to: first aid, pre- hospital medicine, EMT and Paramedic questions, medical transport, critical care transport, ICU/CCU care, sedation, and medicine in general.

I have worked as a NYS Paramedic since 1993 for both community based ambulance companies and large commercial agencies. I Have experience as bike team commander, and shift supervisor for a commercial ambulance. As a member of the Disaster team I was deployed to Louisiana for 20 days following hurricane Katrina. I worked along side the county Haz-Mat team as a "Tox-Medic" with advanced training in treating injuries from chemical agents. Besides my experience on the on the ambulance I have worked in a number of hospital based offices including dialysis and a sleep lab.

I started my EMS career as a NYS CFR (Certified First Responder)in 1989, an EMT in 1991, a Paramedic since 1993, and a CCU transport paramedic since 2005. I currently hold certification as a: NYS Paramedic, Critical Care Transport Paramedic, ACLS/CPR/PALS certified. Advanced Haz-Mat Life Support certified (AHLS). In the past I have taught CPR and ACLS to my coworkers and the local community.