First Aid/Shoulder Pain

I am having a lot of pain in my shoulder/collar bone region. My friend looked at it to see if it looked different and said it looks like it is swelling. I have been trying to take it easy but I have to play flute and my school bag is really heavy which I accidentally picked up with that arm.

Yesterday is when I injured it. I was home for lunch playing flute and got a pain in my shoulder but kept on playing until it started to feel weird and I couldn't rotate it. When I noticed that I shoved my shoulder forwards which made it hurt more then backwards which helped for a bit then it started hurting a lot again. Since then my shoulder has benn hurting, it feels weird when I rotate it and it sometimes makes a clicking sound.

I am only 15 right now and I have no way of getting to a doctor since I don't live close to mine. I also have to close my trailer tomorrow which involves lifting really heavy and ocward objects with it to put on the roof of the trailer plus I have to crawl under it to put my canoe away for the winter. My parents wouldn't believe me if I told them which is why I'm asking.

My friend and I are both really worried about my shoulder and tomorrow I don't want him babying me too much as well as I would like to give him some information on my shoulder since it will put his mind at ease.

I also always imagine the worst casnario when things happen. Especially this because my shoulder is still hurting and the pain won't go away. I have not tried pain killers because I'm not allowed to have the one we have.

I would appreciate an answer at your earliest convenience. Thank you for taking the time to help me.

I'm sorry to hear you are hurt. There could be any number of things that has happened. Without being able to look at your shoulder it is difficult to guess what it could be. I will say that you should let your parents know, regardless of what you think they will say, they should still know. You should also probably have it looked at by a doctor. If you can't get to your doctor you could try a walk in clinic or if that's not available there is always the ER.

In the mean time there are a few things you could try to help. You can try icing your shoulder for 15 minutes at a time. If you talk to your parents the might be able to get an over the counter pain reliever. Ibuprofen (help) is an anti-inflammatory (helps decrease swelling) so it might help as well. Otherwise you will likely want to rest it as much as you can and avoid heavy lifting. If you sleep on your side sleeping on the uninjured side might help a little as well.  

I hope this helps. Like I said, make sure you let your parents know what's up and seeing a doctor would be a good idea. Please let me know if you have any other questions.  

First Aid

I can answer questions about basic and advanced first aid as well as pre-hospital care. Please note that I do not monitor this 24 hours a day. If it is an emergency call 911 (or the local emergency number for your area).

I have experience volunteering as a medical first responder and working as a summer camp Health & Wellness Director. With both I have a variety of experience dealing with various trauma and medical emergencies. As a paramedic student I am gaining further knowledge and experience in the area.

St. John Ambulance

I am a medical first responder (rough equivalent of EMT_B in the US) and a First Year Paramedic Student