First Aid/Stab wound

Question
Hello,

The character in my story is 15 years old. She's stabbed in the back twice and in her abdomen and chest multiple times, as well as in the base of the head/neck once. How long could she live unassisted?
a) If she did have someone find her what could they do for her (First aid)?

b) What would the Emt's do for her in the ambulance?

C)In the hospital?

d) What would be the main concern that the docs would have for her condition?

e) What would be the course of treatment if it partially severed her spinal cord at the T10?

f) Fully severed?

g)How about if it was severed Partially/fully at the c5?

H) What would she feel after being stabbed?

I)While being stabbed?

J) If she was helped but were to die, how would she die (In Detail)?

Answer
Hello Samantha,

The character in my story is 15 years old. She's stabbed in the back twice and in her abdomen and chest multiple times, as well as in the base of the head/neck once.

Q:  How long could she live unassisted?
A:  with the wounds described… 30-45 minutes at the longest if not tended to.

Q:  If she did have someone find her what could they do for her (First aid)?
A:  not a lot longer, you really need to stop the bleeding and with the multiple wounds to the sites you've described it would be very difficult to stop the bleeding without immediate surgical intervention.

Q:   What would the Emt's do for her in the ambulance?
A:  attempt to stop/ slow the bleeding with direct pressure, an EKG, 2 large IV’s (14 or 16 gauge), one in each arm, up to two liters of IV fluid (saline), Oxygen at 15 LPM by mask, and rapid transport. Vital signs (B/P, heart rate, respirations, Oxygen saturation) every 5 minutes, call ahead to the closest trauma center to notify surgical teams of the patient so they can get ready.

Q:  In the hospital?
A:  As soon as she arrives, immediate assessment by ED trauma staff, OR staff, anesthesia, X-Rays and off to the OR for surgery. With the wounds described, if she has any hope of survival she would need surgery within that 30-45 min period. Once a patient looses 1/3 to ½ of their blood volume they tend to be un-savable regardless of how much blood is put back in and you have to plug the holes before you can fill the bucket.

Q:   What would be the main concern that the docs would have for her condition?
A:  as stated above, plug the holes.

Q:   What would be the course of treatment if it partially severed her spinal cord at the T10?
A:  Paralysis, numbness below the naval. (see the link to the dermatome chart)  http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://instruct.uwo.ca/anatomy/530/dermator.

Q:   Fully severed?
A:  same as above

Q:  How about if it was severed Partially/fully at the c5?
A:  (see the chart above) numbness/ paralysis in the neck and upper arms. Possibly some problems with the nerves for breathing and regulation of the heart rate.

Q:   What would she feel after being stabbed?
A:  possible very minor pain at first, maybe warm, heaviness at the stab wound sites but as bleeding/ swelling continues she will have more pain. As she develops into deeper stages of shock she will become confused, find it hard to stay awake, slow her respirations and finally have so little blood volume left that she will stop breathing and die (again, within that 30-45 min period).

Q:  While being stabbed?
A:  Possibly like being punched, but with a warm feeling with maybe some internal pressure as blood starts to fill the tissues?

Q:   If she was helped but were to die, how would she die (In Detail)?
A:  (see 2 questions above) “…after being stabbed…”

Good luck with you story.

Marc

First Aid

Marcus LaBarbera