First Aid/Stabwound straight through the shoulder

Hello there, I'm writing a script for my acting class and there is a scene where a soldier gets caught by the enemy and in trying to get info from the soldier,  he takes a large blade and impales it through the soldier's shoulder, besides the obvious symptom of pain, what would the implications be of such a wound, its in the desert and he gets no treatment for the wound, hope this isn't a stupid question! I just want this to be as realistic as possible!

With that type of injury you could see bleeding, muscle damage, nerve damage, and impaired function in the affected arm. Without treatment loss of function could be permanent, there could be chronic pain and infection is quite possible.

Hopefully that helps.  

First Aid

I can answer questions about basic and advanced first aid as well as pre-hospital care. Please note that I do not monitor this 24 hours a day. If it is an emergency call 911 (or the local emergency number for your area).

I have experience volunteering as a medical first responder and working as a summer camp Health & Wellness Director. With both I have a variety of experience dealing with various trauma and medical emergencies. As a paramedic student I am gaining further knowledge and experience in the area.

St. John Ambulance

I am a medical first responder (rough equivalent of EMT_B in the US) and a First Year Paramedic Student