First Aid/Baby burned by straightener

Question
Burn mark
Burn mark  
Hello!
Earlier today my 8 month old daughter pulled onto the cord of my straightener  and it ended up falling and her right forearm touched it. She cried for a little, and I saw no sign of a burn. Now I see a dark red mark on her forearm. There is no broken skin and no blistering just yet. Is there anything I can give her for her red mark?

Thank you!

Answer
Hello Michele,

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's injury. Burns can be deceiving, even a seemingly minor burn can end up being more serious than originally thought. We can only see the very top (outer layer of the burn) and there is usually additional damage to deeper tissue. Some tissue goes through a process of further damage depending on how immediate treatment is started. This is especially true in children who's tissues are thinner and more sensitive. Your best option is to take your daughter to a hospital that has a burn specialty group (or call your pediatrician and find out what hospital(s) have a burn center). You have to think of that "red mark" for what it is, a burn, damaged tissue that will undergo a process of restructuring and regrowth, it takes time. If anything, if I had the option, I would want slower healing time to reduce complications from scar tissue.

Good luck, I hope she recovers quickly.

Marc

First Aid

Marcus LaBarbera