First Aid/Multiple victims

Hi there, i just wanna ask if there are multiple victims in an accident which type of injury should be treated first,
- victims who fainted
- victims with fracture injury
- victims suffering from traumatic shock
- victims suffering from severe shock.

Thank You in advance :)

Hello Don,

Generally speaking, given the above patient's, shock should be treated first with the fainting a close second. Shock (any kind) is a lack of blood flow to the organ or organs. Traumatic shock, I'm assuming is from blood loss? possibly a serious neurologic injury? Severe shock(?) maybe blood loss... or some other reason for a lack of blood flow.

The fainting could be potentially serious, depending on why they fainted, If was was due to an arrhythmia or a hypotensive event, especially if it hasn't self corrected.

The fracture injury, probably less serious, though a long bone fracture (femur or humerus) or the pelvis, could be potentially serious and result in possible severe internal bleeding.

It's always important to treat the patient not the injury. As you can see above, I'm making my best guess on what kind of injuries or illnesses these patient's may have, but to actually see then (and to take a set of vitals... to a point) is important before you could really say who to treat first.

Good luck,

First Aid

Marcus LaBarbera

I am available to answer most questions related to: first aid, pre- hospital medicine, EMT and Paramedic questions, medical transport, critical care transport, ICU/CCU care, sedation, and medicine in general.

I have worked as a NYS Paramedic since 1993 for both community based ambulance companies and large commercial agencies. I Have experience as bike team commander, and shift supervisor for a commercial ambulance. As a member of the Disaster team I was deployed to Louisiana for 20 days following hurricane Katrina. I worked along side the county Haz-Mat team as a "Tox-Medic" with advanced training in treating injuries from chemical agents. Besides my experience on the on the ambulance I have worked in a number of hospital based offices including dialysis and a sleep lab.

I started my EMS career as a NYS CFR (Certified First Responder)in 1989, an EMT in 1991, a Paramedic since 1993, and a CCU transport paramedic since 2005. I currently hold certification as a: NYS Paramedic, Critical Care Transport Paramedic, ACLS/CPR/PALS certified. Advanced Haz-Mat Life Support certified (AHLS). In the past I have taught CPR and ACLS to my coworkers and the local community.