First Aid/Swollen finger tip. Red/painful/swollen

K so the tip of my finger is swollen and red and very painful. I don't know why and I google it and find nothing. I have tried everything I know and nothing works. So far I have tried..... Dipping it in warm water for 15 min. Poking it with a needle ( but no puss comes out so....) and icing it. And it's getting worse when I straighten my finger it feels like the skin on the tip of my finger is being stretched and it like pulses all the time. It's really starting to worry me. The only thing I could think of that has happend lately was I had a hangnail and I used my teeth to pull it off and it cut a little close to my finger it swelled the day after that.

Without actually seeing your finger it sounds like some type of infection. Signs of infection include swelling, heat, ache, redness and pus. They can be remembered by the pneumonic SHARP. You may not always see pus with an infection depending on the cause. If it continues to get worse or does not start to get better in a day or two you will want to have a doctor look at it as some infections may need to be treated with antibiotics. In the mean time soaking it in warm water with epsom salts and cleaning the area with a disinfectant meant for cleaning cuts, not rubbing alcohol, might help.
I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions.

First Aid

I can answer questions about basic and advanced first aid as well as pre-hospital care. Please note that I do not monitor this 24 hours a day. If it is an emergency call 911 (or the local emergency number for your area).

I have experience volunteering as a medical first responder and working as a summer camp Health & Wellness Director. With both I have a variety of experience dealing with various trauma and medical emergencies. As a paramedic student I am gaining further knowledge and experience in the area.

St. John Ambulance

I am a medical first responder (rough equivalent of EMT_B in the US) and a First Year Paramedic Student