First Aid/Stab wound

I am writing a novel to be published next year. A young man is wounded when someone throws a knife that hits him in the back and punctures his lung. He staggers a few hundred feet, and collapses on someone's doorstep. He is then brought into the house, and a doctor is called to attend the victim.

While is is still alive, he coughs up blood, but he is unable to talk and loses consciousness and dies within a few minutes.

Is this a likely scenario? I'd like to provide more details about his chest wound.

What details can I use to explain his injury?

Thanks for your help.

Carole Coplea

Hi Carole;

Given the scenario you describe, this type of injury is referred to as a "sucking chest wound" which is life threatening and requires immediate medical attention. There is a broad range of information of the web regarding signs/symptoms and first aid, for this injury, that could be crafted into a story of how this individual was kept alive until professional help is available.

Hope this helps.

First Aid

Dave Hammond

What topics should a first aid kit cover? All aspects of keeping first aid skills and confidence current after training. New training and product technology.

US Navy Medic 1970-1974, Director of Medic training for US Navy, First aid instructor. 35 years in developing new first aid products. Multiple patent holder on new generation of first aid kits.

Compliance Magazine "Ask the experts"

B.A. Eastern New Mexico State, M.Ed George Washington University

2002 Inductee NJ Inventor's Hall of Fame, Receipent of Good Housekeeping Best Buy in first aid kits, IParenting Media Award, Family Review Organziation 5 Star product review.

Fortune 500 companies both US and worldwide along with Federal Government and general consumres