First Aid/Cut finger/ vein

Cut my finger friday and may have hit a vein , have it tape for healing but my concern is a black and blue finger and part of the hand by the finger that was cut . Still sore to the touch but looks to be healing good , do i need to have this looked at ?

Hello Jill,

Stitches or tissue realignment usually has to occur within 12-24 hours of the injury, since the healing process has already started (visibly) I would recommend watching the area for signs of infection. Bruising should start to fade in a few days. It sounds like you treated the wound well and you will most likely continue to heal.

Get better soon,

First Aid

Marcus LaBarbera

I am available to answer most questions related to: first aid, pre- hospital medicine, EMT and Paramedic questions, medical transport, critical care transport, ICU/CCU care, sedation, and medicine in general.

I have worked as a NYS Paramedic since 1993 for both community based ambulance companies and large commercial agencies. I Have experience as bike team commander, and shift supervisor for a commercial ambulance. As a member of the Disaster team I was deployed to Louisiana for 20 days following hurricane Katrina. I worked along side the county Haz-Mat team as a "Tox-Medic" with advanced training in treating injuries from chemical agents. Besides my experience on the on the ambulance I have worked in a number of hospital based offices including dialysis and a sleep lab.

I started my EMS career as a NYS CFR (Certified First Responder)in 1989, an EMT in 1991, a Paramedic since 1993, and a CCU transport paramedic since 2005. I currently hold certification as a: NYS Paramedic, Critical Care Transport Paramedic, ACLS/CPR/PALS certified. Advanced Haz-Mat Life Support certified (AHLS). In the past I have taught CPR and ACLS to my coworkers and the local community.