First Aid/Specialist and ER

My 30 year old mentally challenged and mild cerebral palsy disabled son has a possible gallbladder problem this is his second day in the hospitals ER.
The ER Dr. called the specialist , who refuses to see my son unless he is admitted to a  room. No rooms available he is 16th patient waiting for room. He throws up dark brown violently and moans in pain.they treat the symptoms.But getting weaker. he is on Medicaid. Can the specialist refuse him.

Hello GG,

It sounds like the specialist is waiting on admission before he is seen, not to say that he could be treated to reduce symptoms in the ER. It may very well be that the GI specialist already knows just seeing a patient in the ER isn't going to be enough without admitting him to the hospital especially if it looks like there would be surgery in the near future. My advice would be to let your son be evaluated through the ER and have the ER physician admit him to the hospital and make a referral for a GI specialist. The other option is having his primary doctor make a referral to a GI specialist for an evaluation?

Good luck GG, I hope things work out for you and your son.

First Aid

Marcus LaBarbera

I am available to answer most questions related to: first aid, pre- hospital medicine, EMT and Paramedic questions, medical transport, critical care transport, ICU/CCU care, sedation, and medicine in general.

I have worked as a NYS Paramedic since 1993 for both community based ambulance companies and large commercial agencies. I Have experience as bike team commander, and shift supervisor for a commercial ambulance. As a member of the Disaster team I was deployed to Louisiana for 20 days following hurricane Katrina. I worked along side the county Haz-Mat team as a "Tox-Medic" with advanced training in treating injuries from chemical agents. Besides my experience on the on the ambulance I have worked in a number of hospital based offices including dialysis and a sleep lab.

I started my EMS career as a NYS CFR (Certified First Responder)in 1989, an EMT in 1991, a Paramedic since 1993, and a CCU transport paramedic since 2005. I currently hold certification as a: NYS Paramedic, Critical Care Transport Paramedic, ACLS/CPR/PALS certified. Advanced Haz-Mat Life Support certified (AHLS). In the past I have taught CPR and ACLS to my coworkers and the local community.