First Aid/thigh injury and fluid buildup

A week ago, my son fell thru a deck. We were replacing rotten boards, but he found one before we could get it. He didn't break anything, but did get huge bruises on the outside and inside of his thigh. I did not take him to his dr, he seemed ok. The bruising is healing fine, however the outside of his thigh now has a large "lump". It feels like water or fluid. It is almost the size of a baseball. He has no pain. I have been reading online about injuries or trauma to the muscle or bruising the bone due to impact. This seems the same. Would wrapping it with an ACE bandage and a heating pad reduce the fluid? He has not stopped any activities either.  Should he see a Dr? Immediately? In a week or so? Thank you in advance, I'm looking forward to hearing from you!!

Kellie (mom)

Hello Kellie,

It sounds like a good bruise in the soft tissue. I would recommend a warm towel, or soak in warm water to help circulation remove the fluid. If you don't see a noticeable decrease in the size of the lump in a couple days I'd recommend calling your son's doctor to see if the doctor wants to look at the injury or prescribe other treatments.

Good luck, I hope your son heals quickly.

First Aid

Marcus LaBarbera

I am available to answer most questions related to: first aid, pre- hospital medicine, EMT and Paramedic questions, medical transport, critical care transport, ICU/CCU care, sedation, and medicine in general.

I have worked as a NYS Paramedic since 1993 for both community based ambulance companies and large commercial agencies. I Have experience as bike team commander, and shift supervisor for a commercial ambulance. As a member of the Disaster team I was deployed to Louisiana for 20 days following hurricane Katrina. I worked along side the county Haz-Mat team as a "Tox-Medic" with advanced training in treating injuries from chemical agents. Besides my experience on the on the ambulance I have worked in a number of hospital based offices including dialysis and a sleep lab.

I started my EMS career as a NYS CFR (Certified First Responder)in 1989, an EMT in 1991, a Paramedic since 1993, and a CCU transport paramedic since 2005. I currently hold certification as a: NYS Paramedic, Critical Care Transport Paramedic, ACLS/CPR/PALS certified. Advanced Haz-Mat Life Support certified (AHLS). In the past I have taught CPR and ACLS to my coworkers and the local community.