First Aid/stepped on a nail

Question
Hi. on july 18 2013, i stepped on a nail. i went to my primary doctor and i was given a tetnus shot and was given an antibiotic just in case an infection would occur. its been just over a week. i feel like im walking on  a small marble like bump that wont go away. i have been taking the antibiotic and ibuprophen like the doctor ordered me to do. i also have been putting an ice pack on it hoping that the swelling in that spot will go away. How come after a week of meds and it it being on ice do i still feel like i have a lump on the bottom of my foot. im really concerned. please help me. thank you.

Answer
Hi Nancy;

First off, you have taken all the right steps to treat the puncture wound. Watch for signs of infection which would be marked with redness, swelling, and any discharge. Wounds to the bottom of the foot will take more time to heal because of the constant pressure on the wound as you walk. As the wound heals, scar tissue and any remaining swelling will make it feel like you are walking on a marble. Soaking the foot in warm water will help reduce any remaining swelling. It may actually taken two or more weeks before the foot begins to feel normal. Don't hesitate to return to your primary doctor if you do not see/feel any improvement.

Hope this helps.

Dave

First Aid

Dave Hammond