First Aid/Head injury

Yesterday two nested glass Pyrex storage containers fell from a cabinet and hit me in the left temple. I had a mild headache and was slightly nauseous. I never passed out or experienced altered mental state.  Today the area is sore, I still have a mild headache and  slightly dizzy.  What symptoms would indicate that medical care is needed?

Hello Roxy,

Sorry to hear about your injury. If you didn't pass out when the bowls hit your head it's probably not a serious injury. There may be some swelling or bruising at the site of impact which you could treat with a cold compress. Try taking something for your headache (Tylenol, Ibuprofen,...). if you continue to have symptoms that last beyond a couple days I would suggest having a doctor look at at your head for other hidden injuries.

Good luck, I hope you heal quickly.

First Aid

Marcus LaBarbera

I am available to answer most questions related to: first aid, pre- hospital medicine, EMT and Paramedic questions, medical transport, critical care transport, ICU/CCU care, sedation, and medicine in general.

I have worked as a NYS Paramedic since 1993 for both community based ambulance companies and large commercial agencies. I Have experience as bike team commander, and shift supervisor for a commercial ambulance. As a member of the Disaster team I was deployed to Louisiana for 20 days following hurricane Katrina. I worked along side the county Haz-Mat team as a "Tox-Medic" with advanced training in treating injuries from chemical agents. Besides my experience on the on the ambulance I have worked in a number of hospital based offices including dialysis and a sleep lab.

I started my EMS career as a NYS CFR (Certified First Responder)in 1989, an EMT in 1991, a Paramedic since 1993, and a CCU transport paramedic since 2005. I currently hold certification as a: NYS Paramedic, Critical Care Transport Paramedic, ACLS/CPR/PALS certified. Advanced Haz-Mat Life Support certified (AHLS). In the past I have taught CPR and ACLS to my coworkers and the local community.