First Aid/possible infection

incision site on foot
incision site on foot  

pic #2
pic #2  
Hi.  On Nov 3rd I had a mole removed from the bottom of my foot.  Ended up having 6 stitches which were removed on Nov 24th.  I know it's a very sensitive area however it's still very tender especially at the top of the incision site.  I noticed it was red around the site and possibly a little white pus.  I am wandering if I might have a small infection. I was hoping you could look at the attached photo and let me know if I am over reacting.
Thanks so much!

Hello Becky,

Yes, it does look infected (and probably a bit sore as well). Time to see your doctor again and see what they think. in the mean time you could try soaking your foot in a white vinegar and water mix which is a common treatment for foot infections. Get better soon, I hope you heal quickly.

First Aid

Marcus LaBarbera

I am available to answer most questions related to: first aid, pre- hospital medicine, EMT and Paramedic questions, medical transport, critical care transport, ICU/CCU care, sedation, and medicine in general.

I have worked as a NYS Paramedic since 1993 for both community based ambulance companies and large commercial agencies. I Have experience as bike team commander, and shift supervisor for a commercial ambulance. As a member of the Disaster team I was deployed to Louisiana for 20 days following hurricane Katrina. I worked along side the county Haz-Mat team as a "Tox-Medic" with advanced training in treating injuries from chemical agents. Besides my experience on the on the ambulance I have worked in a number of hospital based offices including dialysis and a sleep lab.

I started my EMS career as a NYS CFR (Certified First Responder)in 1989, an EMT in 1991, a Paramedic since 1993, and a CCU transport paramedic since 2005. I currently hold certification as a: NYS Paramedic, Critical Care Transport Paramedic, ACLS/CPR/PALS certified. Advanced Haz-Mat Life Support certified (AHLS). In the past I have taught CPR and ACLS to my coworkers and the local community.