First Aid/eye burns

Question
I showed a friend an old trick to relieve itchy eyes. Use Luke warm water and two table spoons of salt. Completely resolve salt. Use lip of cup to open eye and pour water into eye while blinking. Wait 5 mins. Repeat. Well she it old her friend that it had to be hot water....and way to much salt. Now, 2 days later, his whites of his eyes are solid red and he's using some kind of eye drop to help... What should he do?

Answer

Hello Meg,

If the salt was disolved in the water (not dry) ther eye should bge fine, maybe slight iritation but it should dissipate within minutes. The injury is more likely a scald from the hot water. If this is the case and there is continued pain past an hour or two I would seek evaluation by a doctor as soon as possible to evaluate for tissue injury of the sclera (the outtermost layer of tissue covering the eye.  

I hope your friend recovers quick.

Marc

First Aid

Marcus LaBarbera