First Aid/vision problem caused by head injury

Please don't think I'm crazy when I tell you this but I'm 18 years old and I got into a fight and had a hit my head quite a few times and in the throat. I went to the emergency room and they said it was bruised and gave me pain killers saying everything will go back to normal in a couple.of days. It got worse my vision kind of doubled and blurry most of the time, its hard to go to sleep and wake up for school,its hard for me to keep my eyes open and I keep seeing shining things it looks like stars. What's wrong with me? Was my injury worse than what the doctor thought? I can't miss anymore days out of school because it'll delay my graduation until january.

Thank you so much.

Hello Porsher,

I'm sorry to hear about your injury. If you started to have double vision and visual disturbances after your first exam I would get rechecked by a doctor. There may be swelling or further injury that has developed as time has gone on. I wish I could tell you more about your injury but without an exam it would only be a guess, Good luck, see your doctor, get better soon.

First Aid

Marcus LaBarbera

I am available to answer most questions related to: first aid, pre- hospital medicine, EMT and Paramedic questions, medical transport, critical care transport, ICU/CCU care, sedation, and medicine in general.

I have worked as a NYS Paramedic since 1993 for both community based ambulance companies and large commercial agencies. I Have experience as bike team commander, and shift supervisor for a commercial ambulance. As a member of the Disaster team I was deployed to Louisiana for 20 days following hurricane Katrina. I worked along side the county Haz-Mat team as a "Tox-Medic" with advanced training in treating injuries from chemical agents. Besides my experience on the on the ambulance I have worked in a number of hospital based offices including dialysis and a sleep lab.

I started my EMS career as a NYS CFR (Certified First Responder)in 1989, an EMT in 1991, a Paramedic since 1993, and a CCU transport paramedic since 2005. I currently hold certification as a: NYS Paramedic, Critical Care Transport Paramedic, ACLS/CPR/PALS certified. Advanced Haz-Mat Life Support certified (AHLS). In the past I have taught CPR and ACLS to my coworkers and the local community.