First Aid/Garlic Facial Burn

Question
Hello, I researched that if I cut a garlic clove in half and bandage it to a mole it will go away. It seemed to work until a few nights the garlic slice moved over onto an area of the skin that the mole was not in. Therefore, it created a bad burn on my face, which then scabbed over for a week or so.The scab is now off and there isn't too much of a colour change.I was wondering how to properly treat the burn so that it wont leave a scar. I have been putting polysporin and vitamin E on, but having slow progress and its been over a month. What should I do?

Answer
Hello,

Thank you for choosing all experts. General first aid for chemical burns involve keeping the injured area moisturized, avoiding inflamming the injury, and keeping it from getting infected.  Clean cool water is a often recommended. Water at higher temperatures may inflame the area and cause more pain. Because the skin is recooperating from an injury it will be working harder. Thus, washing the affected area a bit more often than normal (maybe twice a day) may help keep moisture in the area. While antibiotic ointment may help, sometimes, too much can keep the afflicted area from "breathing". Thus,  it's a good practice to consult a physician on what salve to use, and how often you should apply it.

Another consideration is direct sunlight. Vitamins obtained from sunlight are important for maintaining a healthy protective system (e.g. skin). But too much direct exposure of sunlight to a burn could cause the injured area to become inflamed. Covering a burn when in direct sunlight for prolonged periods of time (e.g. "a day at the beach") may help with this, while allowing it to regularly get sunlight when performing normal activities (e.g. "walking to the mail box or driving to the grocery store, etc.) may also be helpful.

A balance between exercise, diet and sleep is also helpful. When you are awake, your body is in a state of stress (metabolizing energy and conducting functions, etc), and your body cannot heal itself if it is in a state of stress. Eating regular meals, getting regular sleep, and excersing assists the skin in regenerate itself.

TIPS FOR THE FIRST AID OF MINOR BURNS

1. Keep the area moisturized with clean cool water.

2. Keep the area clear of bacteria and/or other antigens. Washing the area frequently (but not intensively) with clean cool water will help prevent bacterial and other infections. Consult a physician on what salves/ointments and soaps to use, and how often to use them.

3. Get adequate amounts of rest. This allows your body to begin healing itself. Since we work our body excessively and often deprive ourselves of sleep (even unintentionally), natural healing from sleep occurs less often than it could/should.  

4. Eat healthy and get adequate amounts of exercise.

5. Avoid prolonged exposure to warm and/or extremely hot areas, but do not cover the area excessively unless directed by a physician.

Thanks again for choosing all experts. Please feel free to rate the usefulness of the services provided, or to follow up with any additional questions, comments or concerns.

STORM

DISCLAIMER: All information here is for informational purposes only, intended for the requesting party, and is not intended to replace medical care or treatment from qualified professionals. If you feel you are experiencing a life threatening emergency, or believe you require medical care, please seek professional medical treatment immediately from your local emergency room and/or primary care provider.  

First Aid

Storm