First Aid/hit shin with hammer

Today I was splitting wood with a short sledge hammer (mini sledge) and ended up striking my shin. It swelled up immediately and  although it wasn't horrible painful, i decided to get it x-rayed. No broken. My question is does the immediate swelling somehow blunt the pain sensors? I am in chronic pain daily from fibromylgia and this huge bulge on my lower leg is a joke towards what i feel in my shoulder, hips, and knee. What temp is best for icing?

Ouch!!  I can't imagine how that felt!!  Usually swelling doesn't affect reduction in pain.   Swelling is usually inflammation due to the body's response to an injury.  To reduce the pain, apply ice (in a towel, not directly) for 20 minutes on the leave it off for a while and reapply.  Ice can help with the swelling.  For the pain, apply heat.   I would suspect you have your shin an awful bruise on the inside and will take a long time to heal.   Could take weeks...

I hope this helps.  Please feel free to email me again if anything is not clear.

First Aid

No Longer Available

No Longer Available in this category.

No Longer Available in this category.

No Longer Available in this category.