Fish/Betta with ammonia poisoning?

Dana wrote at 2012-12-05 23:15:40
It sounds like he has dropsy, which our betta died from yesterday. They bloat up like a pinecone due to organ failure, and ours stopped eating and had trouble breathing.  If yours is doing that, they sell kits on putting fish to sleep.  I wish we would have done that, as none of the medicines worked, once the organ failure had set in, along with fungus on his fins, to due poor water conditions over time.  I changed the water once a month, as no one had ever told us different, and he lasted 3 years.  Next time I will change the betta every 10 days, or research it first.  Good luck, hope this helps!

Jaymie Johnson

I have 30+ years experience in freshwater aquariums, including the 23 years I was in the Marine Corps. I am very knowledgeable in fresh water aquariums and can answer any question regarding them. Currently I am breeding Betta's and can answer any question that pertains to them. I am very knowledgeable in the cycling of an aquarium from start to finish. I know all about filters, and currently make my own. If I do not know the answer to your question, I will research it and give you the information that I find. I am also knowledgeable in freshwater diseases and can tell you what needs to be done to treat them.FYI......I am male not female. Don't let the name fool ya. lol

I have had aquariums all my life and have had many different types of fish.

The only education I have is from both raising the fish and reading everything I can find about them.