Fish/black ghost knife fish

Question
Hi Ron...This is my 3rd try as I have asked 2 of the experts already. One did not respond and the other couldn't help.
I have a 7 year old black ghost knife fish that has never had a problem.The last few days he has developed a bloated upper body, with a whitish appearance to it. He is not eating. Today he appears to be a little off balance as well. I have not made any recent changes to the tank (72 gallon) as in adding new fish or decorative items. When I say upper body I mean the belly, right behind his head.   Any ideas would help.

Thanks...Charlie Fowler

Answer
Hi Charlie,
  I have never kept knife fish so I have no personal experience to draw upon.  If he were a cichlid with those symptoms I would suggest two possibilities.  First, he may be simply getting old.  There is nothing you can do about that.  The other possibility is that the water quality is not quite as good as it used to be.  Have you been doing your regular weekly 25% water changes?  

-- Ron C.
   rcoleman@cichlidresearch.com
   Cichlid Research Home Page <http://cichlidresearch.com>

Fish

Ron Coleman