Fish/Black Ghost Knife Fish

Hi Jaymie... I hope you can help.  I have had a black ghost knife fish for about 7 years. He has always been healthy. Recently he has developed a bloated upper body and his mouth stays wide open and lower jaw has turned white. He has stopped eating.  No new fish or anything else have been added within the last year to the aquarium.  Any ideas?

Charlie, I am so sorry that it took so long to answer your question. You, I am sure understand these are a very delicate and friendly fish. They tend to be easy to train to eat from your hand and get very close to their owners. In captivity if the water conditions stay in the correct parameters which it sounds like you have under control can live for around 7 to 8 years. Did you add anyone new to the tank or anything at all like a plant or a rock. This can be a sign of parasites if you have. You can look for a parasite medication in your pet shop. MAKE SURE it has NO copper in it. Since it is a scaleless fish it is very irritating for them. If you are using salt in the water in can be a build up of salt. Remember salt is only removed from water changing it does not evaporate. If nothing has changed then the first thing I would do is get a bacterial cure because they are prone to infection because of the lack of scales. Marycin II is a good one for it. The thing is just the fact that you have kept the water so well is why he is 7 years are a great parent :). The anti bacterial has some vitamins that may a boost and get back on feed I hope. for abit but the bump may be cancer it is hard to say without a necropsy after the fact. If it is constipation  but, because of the area I doubt it....that is bacterial so the maracyn should help that you can try fresh or frozen peas softened with some tap water and peeled But, it is carnivorous fish and though some carnivorous fish do eat veggies this usually aren't one of them. Please let me know if there are any changes or any other questions. Good Luck, Tina  

Tina Beatty- Quiao

I can answer all questions about chemistry of water and I am familiar with diseases. infection, and parasites of fresh and saltwater fish and with medication. I can help you with new set ups, stocking them, what fish go together and what doesn't and why, breeding. Also, any questions on filtration and lighting. I love this kind of work. Helping people keep their fish successfully is so rewarding to me.

I have been in the petcare industry for about 20 years now. I have taken care of hundreds of tanks.I have been in management of a petshop for yrs.I was a petcare specialist for a large pet chain for years. I have had many tanks of my own from fresh, brakish to salt. There isn't much I haven't come

Well besides yrs of experience, I have a background in biology and chemistry.