Fish/Betta jumped out of the tank

Question
My betta just jumped out of the tank, I was there when it happened he was out for only a bit, but after I put him back in he had a big ball of something under his ventral fins?
What does this mean?

Answer
Sarah,   What I think happened here is he damaged his labyrinth organ. This is a structure like lungs. That is why they come to the top and gulp air. What I would do is get Melafix not Betta revive. There is something in the tea tree oil that tends to help it heal. Hopefully he just filled it and he is emptied it by now. This is kind of rare so I hope the best. Good Luck, Tina  

Fish

Tina Beatty- Quiao