Fish/Betta jumped out of the tank

My betta just jumped out of the tank, I was there when it happened he was out for only a bit, but after I put him back in he had a big ball of something under his ventral fins?
What does this mean?

Sarah,   What I think happened here is he damaged his labyrinth organ. This is a structure like lungs. That is why they come to the top and gulp air. What I would do is get Melafix not Betta revive. There is something in the tea tree oil that tends to help it heal. Hopefully he just filled it and he is emptied it by now. This is kind of rare so I hope the best. Good Luck, Tina  

Tina Beatty- Quiao

I can answer all questions about chemistry of water and I am familiar with diseases. infection, and parasites of fresh and saltwater fish and with medication. I can help you with new set ups, stocking them, what fish go together and what doesn't and why, breeding. Also, any questions on filtration and lighting. I love this kind of work. Helping people keep their fish successfully is so rewarding to me.

I have been in the petcare industry for about 20 years now. I have taken care of hundreds of tanks.I have been in management of a petshop for yrs.I was a petcare specialist for a large pet chain for years. I have had many tanks of my own from fresh, brakish to salt. There isn't much I haven't come

Well besides yrs of experience, I have a background in biology and chemistry.