Fish/Convict Cichlids

Question
Hello Ron,
  I have some questions about some convict cichlids that we have. i noticed that two of the are always together one is bigger than the other one. We think they might be a couple so we separated them from the rest and put the on a different aquarium. did we do the right thing? we did this because in the past we had a couple that would lay little eggs but the other fish would eat them. also if we separated both parents do you think that the father will eat the eggs too?/ thank you for your help in advance.

Answer
Hi Heber,
 Female convicts almost always have some orange color on the belly, whereas males don't.  

If they lay eggs, and they are a pair, they are usually very good parents, i.e., the father typically does not eat the eggs.  

-- Ron C.
  rcoleman@cichlidresearch.com
  Cichlid Research Home Page <http://cichlidresearch.com>  

Fish

Ron Coleman