Fish/How fish react to vibrations in the water caused by different genres of music.

Question
Hello, I am a 15 year old sophmore in highschool, and I hope to enter a local science fair. I'm really intrested in fish and I want to learn more about how the vibrations in their water cause them to react, using music. This isn't a very popular topic and I haven't found much about it online so I'm wondering if you could use your expertise to help me with this. I mostly want to know if their reactions are noticable enough to record and study. I will be using african chchild fish if I get enough information to do this expieriment so, any information will be greatly appreciated! thanks for your time(:

Answer
Hi Aubrey,
  What kind of reactions were you expecting to see?  (Making predictions is an important part of the experimental process).

Also, how were you planning on getting the vibrations into the water? Just playing music in the room will not really do that -- recall that if you go swimming and someone is talking above the water, you cannot generally hear them.  The music would have to be VERY loud out of the water for the sound waves to penetrate into the water.  I'm not sure I recommend doing that...

-- Ron C.
  rcoleman@cichlidresearch.com
  Cichlid Research Home Page <http://cichlidresearch.com>

Fish

Ron Coleman