Fish/New tankmates

Hi Will,

I have a tropical 55 gallon tank and recently, I lost my last gourami and is left with my 13''+ long pleco. While my pleco is big, he has yet to completely outgrow my tank as i'm in a pinch to try and get another one, but that isn't my question. What fish could I possibly add in my tank so I can have some life with the pleco. I usually keep the heater at 85 degrees, and I have two air stones..and I have a 60 whisper hanging box filter. I have a good set up I think but i'm puzzled as to what fish could be happy with a big pleco

You have many options. Personally, I'd go with a single medium size South American cichlid like an oscar or green terror. I love the color and character those fish have.

You could also try some smaller, faster moving schooling fish that occupy the water column. Keep in mind for some of these fish you may want to periodically raise and lower the temperature (86-74 degrees, without sudden changes, no more than a degree or two per day).

My advice would be to find a book or website listing popular aquarium fish and skim it until you find some you like. Do your research once you've found some. Your local fish store will be able to help from there, and so will I if you still have specific questions.

I can answer questions relating to the scientific aspect of the hobby (fish ecology, biology, genetics, etc. ), aquacultural and breeding aspects, and have experience with nearly all "brackish" fish in the trade. I also have lots of experience breeding fish, like angelfish, tetras, cichlids, and various livebearers. I also have lots of experience with many freshwater fish, especially "monster" fish, like stingrays, arowana and Saratoga, cichlids, catfish, etc. Please ask questions about anything except for true saltwater (reef) tanks.

Too much to fully list, but I will never have never enough to satisfy myself.

River Watch of Colorado Monster Fish Keepers USA Canoe/Kayak

Student, but I've been involved in many projects involving aquaculture and fish biology. I'm currently helping design a massive stream improvement project on the St. Vrain river. I am studying fisheries ecology, techniques, hatcheries, and management practices for north american freshwater systems.