Fish/Blind flowerhorn

im concerned about my flowerhorn.
I have a tank that's about 2 feet long, close to 1 foot wide, and 1 foot high.
I change about 30 % of the water every 15 days and have a filter as well as a heater that keep the temperature at about 28C.
both his eyes have turned slightly cloudy white. There is some redness and I can also see a small yellow clump at the bottom of his eye. i do not know what it is, but I dont think he can see because he cant find his food easily and keeps bumping into things now and then. I dont know the ph of the water but I just use regular tap water and have a mechanical filter inside the tank. He is the only fish in the tank. I also have a light attached inside the roof of the tank.
I dont know what to do. I dont know what it is, and if it's treatable?
Would appreciate some advice. Thank you :)

ANSWER: Hi Amaan,
  Unfortunately it is really hard for me to say what is going on. When a fish's eyes go cloudy that is usually caused by one of two things: either attacks from another fish (which is not possible in the case of your fish), or some problem with the water.  However, you say that you change the water every couple of weeks, so unless the water you are using is contaminated, I am at a loss as to what could be happening. Sorry.

-- Ron Coleman
  Cichlid Research Home Page <>

thanks for taking the time to reply. I wanted to ask if there's any medication to treat eye infections or such. I've heard of melafix. Is there anything else, and does this stuff work? Also, now that my flowehorn Is blind, if he remains blind, can I pair him with some other fish?

Hi Amaan,
 The problem is that you have to find out what is causing the eye problem. Treating the symptoms will not remove the problem.  

You can try Melafix but I don't think that will solve the root problem.

As for putting him with another fish, if he is blind, you have to be very careful because the other fish can easily attack him.

-- Ron C.
  Cichlid Research Home Page <>

Ron Coleman

I am an expert on cichlid fishes, particularly New World cichlids. My broader expertise includes the behavior, ecology and reproduction of fishes in general. (I am NOT an expert on Goldfish). Please do not use abbreviations, such as "my GT has a swollen eye" because I don't know what a "GT" is. The more clearly you can explain your question, the better chance I have of understanding what it is that you seek. I keep fishes both as a scientist and as a hobbyist and I currently maintain about 140 aquariums.

I am an Associate Professor at the California State University, Sacramento in the Department of Biological Sciences, and I run a website, called the Cichlid Research Home Page . I also write for many popular aquarist magazines, and I was editor of Cichlid News magazine for several years. I am a scientist and I spend my time teaching fish biology, ecology, behavior and evolution and doing research on the reproductive biology of fishes, particularly cichlids. I do research in the laboratory and in Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Mexico. My main interest is understanding the evolution of parental care in fishes. I am interested in encouraging greater public awareness, understanding and participation in science.

Cichlid News, Tropical Fish Hobbyist, Freshwater and Marine Aquarium, Science, Behavioural Ecology and Sociobiology, Copeia, Canadian Journal of Zoology, Trends in Ecology and Evolution, AUK, Environmental Biology of Fishes

PhD (Toronto, 1993) MSc (Simon Fraser, 1986) BSc (British Columbia, 1983)