You are here:

Fish/Flowerhorn hit the glass and lost balance



Hello Ron.
My fish is Red Dragon Flowerhorn, it has been with me for more than 2.5 years. It is kept in a tank of 30inch width, 18inch height and 18 inch length. Am from Mumbai, India.
Two days ago while a friend of mine was playing with it (touching outside of the aquarium), there was a big bang of my fish hitting hard on the glass to attach the finger. Next second, the fish was upside down and was swimming in all abnormal direction. I quickly got a steel rod to support it and held it parallel to the glass wall and supported him for about an hour (am attaching an image when this was done). After that he slowly recovered and stared very careful movements. It is still in the careful mode, moves himself without falling but it seems he leans to the left more while he is stationary. He also cannot turn to his left normally. He eats just a little less than normal. Please let me know what to do to make my fish be normal again.
Also, he has a hole in his right fin since 3 months. Despite of that he used to swim and eat well till now. Also, there is another request..As we all are part of the Nature cycle, it is understood that we all living creatures will face health issues, and my flower horn is no exception.
I want he keep a handy guide for me and all the fish lovers to refer in-case anything goes wrong.
Itís better to have safe solutions known instead of searching for whole internet in panic when fish is unwell.
Maybe you can add a list of medicines everyone with a flowerhorn should keep handy in-case they are out and fish is taken care by friends and parents.
I believe you will help this case. Thanks.

Hi Navin,
  I am sorry to hear about your fish.  I don't think that there is anything that you can do for him other than to give him time to recover.

  As far as medications, the general rule should be to use as few as possible. The best medicine is to keep the water very clean and to feed your fish with good food. Those two things will do more for your fish than most medicines.  In fact, the only medicine I ever really use is Rid-Ich for the rare time when I get a new fish that has ich.  

-- Ron C.
  Cichlid Research Home Page <>  


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ron Coleman


I am an expert on cichlid fishes, particularly New World cichlids. My broader expertise includes the behavior, ecology and reproduction of fishes in general. (I am NOT an expert on Goldfish). Please do not use abbreviations, such as "my GT has a swollen eye" because I don't know what a "GT" is. The more clearly you can explain your question, the better chance I have of understanding what it is that you seek. I keep fishes both as a scientist and as a hobbyist and I currently maintain about 140 aquariums.


I am an Associate Professor at the California State University, Sacramento in the Department of Biological Sciences, and I run a website, called the Cichlid Research Home Page . I also write for many popular aquarist magazines, and I was editor of Cichlid News magazine for several years. I am a scientist and I spend my time teaching fish biology, ecology, behavior and evolution and doing research on the reproductive biology of fishes, particularly cichlids. I do research in the laboratory and in Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Mexico. My main interest is understanding the evolution of parental care in fishes. I am interested in encouraging greater public awareness, understanding and participation in science.

Cichlid News, Tropical Fish Hobbyist, Freshwater and Marine Aquarium, Science, Behavioural Ecology and Sociobiology, Copeia, Canadian Journal of Zoology, Trends in Ecology and Evolution, AUK, Environmental Biology of Fishes

PhD (Toronto, 1993) MSc (Simon Fraser, 1986) BSc (British Columbia, 1983)

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]