Fish/oscar beahving wierd

Hi.. I have 1lutino oscar about 4inch and 2 tiger oscar 1.5inch.. They are in my 30 gallon tank from past 2 months and wer doing good. I just bought a 75gallon for them but it is still setting up.. But they caught ich :'( so i put teramicin and ich cure medicine for them as suggested by pet store and increased the temp to 26C and added aqarium salt to their tank. My normal temp. Before was 24C i cread the temp. Slowly after two hrs. But once it is constant at 26 my oscars become unactive n lie like dead.. And today i noticed that my tiger oscars had gone full white originally they wee black.. I dnt understand whats wrong.. :| .. My lutino oscar(jumbo) dint even eat anything today.i change my water evryday 50% deu to small tank.. Cant provide ammonia level coz testing is not available where i stay.. can u please tell me whats wrong.. My oscars also hide away wen i go close to them they never dis that befor.. :'(.. As if afrid of me.. N my jumbo he jus starts swimming off randomly any time and bangs on walls n ground of tank.. He swimming up and falls down directly.. Please hwlp i dont wana lose my o's i love them..
Sorry for long post..and m really sorry fr stupid ques. But i am new to my hobby.. Have very less knowlege but jis 2mnths havng oscars have made me fall in love with them...
Thank u for ur time.. Please help..

Hi Suraksha,
  The symptoms you describe can all be attributed to the ich infestation.  It takes a couple of weeks for ich to clear up even though it might appear to be gone sooner. It is important to keep doing regular water changes as often as you can.  Changing 25% every day would not be too much if at all possible.  Basically the situation with ich is this: it is a nasty disease but it is treatable if you get the medicine in there soon enough. Once the medicine is in there it takes several days for it to work (this is because the ich parasite goes through various stages, only one of which is vulnerable to the medicine).  During that time, the fish gets quite a bit weaker and so it is really a race to see if the fish can outlast the dying parasites.

-- Ron Coleman
  Cichlid Research Home Page <>

Ron Coleman

I am an expert on cichlid fishes, particularly New World cichlids. My broader expertise includes the behavior, ecology and reproduction of fishes in general. (I am NOT an expert on Goldfish). Please do not use abbreviations, such as "my GT has a swollen eye" because I don't know what a "GT" is. The more clearly you can explain your question, the better chance I have of understanding what it is that you seek. I keep fishes both as a scientist and as a hobbyist and I currently maintain about 140 aquariums.

I am an Associate Professor at the California State University, Sacramento in the Department of Biological Sciences, and I run a website, called the Cichlid Research Home Page . I also write for many popular aquarist magazines, and I was editor of Cichlid News magazine for several years. I am a scientist and I spend my time teaching fish biology, ecology, behavior and evolution and doing research on the reproductive biology of fishes, particularly cichlids. I do research in the laboratory and in Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Mexico. My main interest is understanding the evolution of parental care in fishes. I am interested in encouraging greater public awareness, understanding and participation in science.

Cichlid News, Tropical Fish Hobbyist, Freshwater and Marine Aquarium, Science, Behavioural Ecology and Sociobiology, Copeia, Canadian Journal of Zoology, Trends in Ecology and Evolution, AUK, Environmental Biology of Fishes

PhD (Toronto, 1993) MSc (Simon Fraser, 1986) BSc (British Columbia, 1983)