Fish/Red/white flesh type growths

Texas parrot cichlid
Texas parrot cichlid  
I have a Texas parrot and he/she has recently developed some red/white flesh looking growths. I have been trying to research what it is and how it developed it with no luck. Initially we thought it was from other fish picking on it and that they were flesh wounds from being bit or what not. But after removing all the other aggressive fish the problem has not dissipated. Do you happen to know what it could be? There are growths by the dorsal fin, out of its gills, and one of his nostrils. Please help. We've also turned up the heat thinking maybe it's a bacteria. It's only been a day so we're waiting to see if it will improve within the next couple of days.

Hi Janice,
  I cannot be sure, but it looks like something called columnaris. Sadly, this is a very nasty bacterial infection. You can google it to find out more.  I have not had much success in treating it in the past.  Sorry.

-- Ron Coleman
 Cichlid Research Home Page <>

Ron Coleman

I am an expert on cichlid fishes, particularly New World cichlids. My broader expertise includes the behavior, ecology and reproduction of fishes in general. (I am NOT an expert on Goldfish). Please do not use abbreviations, such as "my GT has a swollen eye" because I don't know what a "GT" is. The more clearly you can explain your question, the better chance I have of understanding what it is that you seek. I keep fishes both as a scientist and as a hobbyist and I currently maintain about 140 aquariums.

I am an Associate Professor at the California State University, Sacramento in the Department of Biological Sciences, and I run a website, called the Cichlid Research Home Page . I also write for many popular aquarist magazines, and I was editor of Cichlid News magazine for several years. I am a scientist and I spend my time teaching fish biology, ecology, behavior and evolution and doing research on the reproductive biology of fishes, particularly cichlids. I do research in the laboratory and in Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Mexico. My main interest is understanding the evolution of parental care in fishes. I am interested in encouraging greater public awareness, understanding and participation in science.

Cichlid News, Tropical Fish Hobbyist, Freshwater and Marine Aquarium, Science, Behavioural Ecology and Sociobiology, Copeia, Canadian Journal of Zoology, Trends in Ecology and Evolution, AUK, Environmental Biology of Fishes

PhD (Toronto, 1993) MSc (Simon Fraser, 1986) BSc (British Columbia, 1983)