Fish/tips on how to handle discuss and other fish in same tank.

Hello sir,
         I am new to this bussines, i have a tank which is about3'in length,2'in depth and18"in width.I have
Various fishes in it like discuss,tetra,hockey,black gost,cat fish, silver shark and many more.I have fishes of various sizes in which i feel dis uss is the smallest.they dont feel happy or i dont know whether they are afraid,sometimes they lie down flat or float as if dead.Altogether they seem to be unhappy. I do water changes in 3 to 5 days wjich is. Almost 80% of tank capacity wjoch i remove while cleaning.
         Please help!

Hi Robin,
  In general, most people that keep discus do not keep them with other fish. The fact that they are lying down or floating tells me that they are not doing very well. In fact, those are really bad signs unfortunately.  

The fact that you are doing lots of regular water changes is good.  My suspicion is that with all the other fish in there, the discus are not getting to eat very well, if at all.  Is that possible?

-- Ron C.
  Cichlid Research Home Page <>

Ron Coleman

I am an expert on cichlid fishes, particularly New World cichlids. My broader expertise includes the behavior, ecology and reproduction of fishes in general. (I am NOT an expert on Goldfish). Please do not use abbreviations, such as "my GT has a swollen eye" because I don't know what a "GT" is. The more clearly you can explain your question, the better chance I have of understanding what it is that you seek. I keep fishes both as a scientist and as a hobbyist and I currently maintain about 140 aquariums.

I am an Associate Professor at the California State University, Sacramento in the Department of Biological Sciences, and I run a website, called the Cichlid Research Home Page . I also write for many popular aquarist magazines, and I was editor of Cichlid News magazine for several years. I am a scientist and I spend my time teaching fish biology, ecology, behavior and evolution and doing research on the reproductive biology of fishes, particularly cichlids. I do research in the laboratory and in Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Mexico. My main interest is understanding the evolution of parental care in fishes. I am interested in encouraging greater public awareness, understanding and participation in science.

Cichlid News, Tropical Fish Hobbyist, Freshwater and Marine Aquarium, Science, Behavioural Ecology and Sociobiology, Copeia, Canadian Journal of Zoology, Trends in Ecology and Evolution, AUK, Environmental Biology of Fishes

PhD (Toronto, 1993) MSc (Simon Fraser, 1986) BSc (British Columbia, 1983)