Fish/danio fish

Are danio fish live bearing or do they lay eggs??

Danio's are egg laying fish. They do not get pregnant. They spawn with a another male.

I get the occasional person asking why their Danio is fat and if its pregnant. If its fat it more then likely is a sign of illness as they do not hold onto their eggs as livebearing do.

That being said, Danio's need perfect water quality and a lot of coaxing to be bred. Its definitely not easy as the prolific guppy who can overrun a tank in a matter of weeks due to massive baby production.

The most common livebearers are: Platys, Swordtails, Guppies, Mollies, Endlers.

Now you know more then you ever wanted.

- Ash

Ash WolFF

My knowledge of fish ranges from freshwater and saltwater fish compatibility and care from easy livebearers to monster fish. I can help you set up a simple freshwater aquarium to a complicated reef tank. I would be pleased to assist anyone who is new to the aquarium hobby.

I have been in the aquarium hobby for eight years mostly dealing with large and small aquariums. I keep mostly monster fish (Arowana's, Large Cichlids; Oscars, and freshwater/saltwater eels specifically) but now that I am in college I am keeping a 30 gallon tropical community and a 45 gallon brackish aquarium while my father tends to the big monsters I left behind.

I'm on YouTube! My 30 gallon community posts are the only ones that are up so far. My Brackish tank is next! I'm on Yahoo Answers:

I am currently in college aiming for a job in Marine Biology.