hello! i have 2 dalmation mollies 2 orange mollies with black tails and 1 mickey mouse molly and i just noticed 2 baby orange mollies and a couple days later i noticed a baby black molly. none of them bother the babies so should i just keep everything the way it is or should i seperate them and should i expect to see more to these litters of babies?? thanks so much rhonda

Hi Rhonda,
 Personally I would separate them until they are larger than the mouths of the fish in your tank, but the choice is yours.  Odds are, the three you are seeing are the survivors of the dozen or so that were born.  And yes, you very well might see more little ones appear.  

-- Ron C.
   Cichlid Research Home Page <>

Ron Coleman

I am an expert on cichlid fishes, particularly New World cichlids. My broader expertise includes the behavior, ecology and reproduction of fishes in general. (I am NOT an expert on Goldfish). Please do not use abbreviations, such as "my GT has a swollen eye" because I don't know what a "GT" is. The more clearly you can explain your question, the better chance I have of understanding what it is that you seek. I keep fishes both as a scientist and as a hobbyist and I currently maintain about 140 aquariums.

I am an Associate Professor at the California State University, Sacramento in the Department of Biological Sciences, and I run a website, called the Cichlid Research Home Page . I also write for many popular aquarist magazines, and I was editor of Cichlid News magazine for several years. I am a scientist and I spend my time teaching fish biology, ecology, behavior and evolution and doing research on the reproductive biology of fishes, particularly cichlids. I do research in the laboratory and in Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Mexico. My main interest is understanding the evolution of parental care in fishes. I am interested in encouraging greater public awareness, understanding and participation in science.

Cichlid News, Tropical Fish Hobbyist, Freshwater and Marine Aquarium, Science, Behavioural Ecology and Sociobiology, Copeia, Canadian Journal of Zoology, Trends in Ecology and Evolution, AUK, Environmental Biology of Fishes

PhD (Toronto, 1993) MSc (Simon Fraser, 1986) BSc (British Columbia, 1983)