Fish/betta fish (perhaps sick)

I have a male betta fish alone in a 1 gallon tank.
I changed his water about a week ago, and i'm planing on
changing it again tomorrow.

The problom is that my fish is spending all his time at the
bottom of the tank, and only coming up for food and air
once and a while.
He was doing this yesterday to.
I am realy worried, I love my little fishy!

Aditional imformation:
The fish is around one year old.
The tank has one philadendron plant, (Everyone sais they are good for fish)
The tank has petstore gravel covering the bottom.

Please help,

Hello Miriam, I cannot fully diagnose a possible disease that your betta may have without a little more information. Has he lost any of his coloring over the past week? Does he eat all of the food that he is getting fed? What was his behavior like before he started acting lethargic? Also, could you post a picture of him for me in your reply so that I can see him physically. That may help me determine what I think is wrong with him.

Jordan Gobely

I can answer most questions about fish care and maintenance. I am not an expert on saltwater aquariums but I am researching more about them on a daily basis. I have kept many different tropical freshwater fish as well as cichlids. Brackish water is my weakest category but if you have a question feel free to ask and I will do research on it myself.

I have kept fish for over 10 years. I am also an employee at a pet store and the head of the fish department. I am going to school at Emporia State University and studying biology with a concentration in ecology and biodiversity for undergraduate work. Right now my job is to care for and maintain the fish department at a local pet store. As far as water quality, I am well versed in different practices you can do to help improve conditions and what levels to look out for when testing the water.

I am majoring in Biology at Emporia State University and have researched fish reproductive behavior for the past decade.