Fish/Cory fish companions

Hey Richard, I have two corydoras in a 5 gallon tank and I was wondering what kind of fish would be a good companion to the two! I've researched that bettas are good companions, but I don't really like bettas.. Would any similar sized fish be fine such as a molly or even a guppy? I used to have a pleco but it died, should I get another one? Or maybe a snail?
Thank you so much!

Hi Cambrie

Pretty much any community fish will be compatible with Cory Cats. Bettas, Mollies, Guppies, Platys, Tetras, Danios, Rasboras, Barbs etc. You just don't want any bottom dwellers that would compete with them for food, or any fish that's large enough to eat them. The only problem is in a 5 gallon, you don't have any room for tankmates. If you were to get a 10, 20 or 30 gallon tank, you would be able to add tankmates with them. If you add tankmates with them in the 5 gallon, the tank would be overcrowded and you could lose some fish.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Richard Hight

I own and maintain several freshwater aquariums from 2 to 180 gallon. I can answer most questions about freshwater aquariums, including setup, cycling, maintenance, compatible tank mates, feeding. Moving? I've moved fish both across town and across the country and can help you get your little aquatic friends to their new home safely. I know and have experience with most freshwater community fish, South American Cichlids and African Cichlids. I don't answer questions about Goldfish or keeping Goldfish with Tropical Fish. I also don't answer questions about keeping crustaceans (shrimp, snails, crabs etc) with Tropical Fish, nor questions about saltwater fish or aquariums. I'm not available to answer questions on weekends, this is when I do maintenance on my own tanks.

Many years of personal experience with fish and aquariums

HSG 2010-2011 prof