Fish/Dalmatian Molly with red spots

QUESTION: I bought a Dalmatian Molly today. When I got home I noticed it has a few red spots on it. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

ANSWER: They are ammonia burns.

Do you have a fully cycled aquarium? Cycling takes 6-8 weeks.

Mollies need a 25 gallon aquarium make sure you have an appropriate tank size.

QUESTION: It's a new aquarium. It was set up for 2 1/2 weeks before I added the fish. I'm rather worried though, it's resting on the bottom of the tank and isn't active. Is there anything I should do?

Yeah normally it takes 6-8 weeks to cycle a tank and you have to do it with a source of ammonia and a source of starting nitrifying bacteria.

The resting on the bottom is lethargy, it might as well pass away soon, so I would return it if you can and cycle the tank fully before adding anymore fish.

Ash WolFF

My knowledge of fish ranges from freshwater and saltwater fish compatibility and care from easy livebearers to monster fish. I can help you set up a simple freshwater aquarium to a complicated reef tank. I would be pleased to assist anyone who is new to the aquarium hobby.

I have been in the aquarium hobby for eight years mostly dealing with large and small aquariums. I keep mostly monster fish (Arowana's, Large Cichlids; Oscars, and freshwater/saltwater eels specifically) but now that I am in college I am keeping a 30 gallon tropical community and a 45 gallon brackish aquarium while my father tends to the big monsters I left behind.

I'm on YouTube! My 30 gallon community posts are the only ones that are up so far. My Brackish tank is next! I'm on Yahoo Answers:

I am currently in college aiming for a job in Marine Biology.