How do u tell if a jack demsey is pregnant? I have a 55 gallon tank with a male and a female that has had baby's befor but I don't know how to tell if she is or not.

As you probably know, they're egg layers. The female will appear quite fat for extended periods of time, and the male will become vibrantly colored and exhibit unique spawning behavior. The best indicator is if they start building and guarding a nest in the sand. Some increased aggression is normal too. Let me know if you need anything else.

I can answer questions relating to the scientific aspect of the hobby (fish ecology, biology, genetics, etc. ), aquacultural and breeding aspects, and have experience with nearly all "brackish" fish in the trade. I also have lots of experience breeding fish, like angelfish, tetras, cichlids, and various livebearers. I also have lots of experience with many freshwater fish, especially "monster" fish, like stingrays, arowana and Saratoga, cichlids, catfish, etc. Please ask questions about anything except for true saltwater (reef) tanks.

Too much to fully list, but I will never have never enough to satisfy myself.

River Watch of Colorado Monster Fish Keepers USA Canoe/Kayak

Student, but I've been involved in many projects involving aquaculture and fish biology. I'm currently helping design a massive stream improvement project on the St. Vrain river. I am studying fisheries ecology, techniques, hatcheries, and management practices for north american freshwater systems.