Fish/10 Gallon Stock

Question
QUESTION: Dear Sir:
I am setting up a 10 gallon tank for the first time and have done some research and am willing to do what it takes to keep it successful.  I want to get the following stock:

How many should I have of each?
Red Cherry Shrimp
Cardinal Tetras
Harlequin Rasboras
African Dwarf Frogs

Which of these would I be able to add to the above stock?
(3) Dwarf Chain Loaches
(3) Kuhli
(1) female Lyretail Swordtail

When stocking, what fish should be added first, second, third so on... and how long in between?
Thank you for your time.
Lori

ANSWER: Hello!

Well let me tell you that Kuhli Loaches, Swordtails and Tetras will not work out as they need a larger tank size of 20 gallon's. African Dwarf Frogs are tricky to feed in a community tank and they cannot digest fish flakes well. If you are willing to spot feed them with a turkey baster and provide a good diet of frozen bloodworms, chopped cricket, and blackworms they'll be fine.

Have you heard of Scarlet Badis or Chili Rasbora? Both of these species will work in this size aquarium.

You could do...

8x Harlquin OR Chili Rasbora
10x Cherry Shrimp
1x Honey Gourami

Fully stocked.

****Remember to cycle the aquarium for 6-8 weeks with beneficial bacteria supplement****

- Ash

QUESTION: Thank you for replying so quickly.  The only thing is is that I really wanted a variety of fish.  Would I be able to cut down the Rasboras to 5 and replace 3 with dwarf loaches since they only grow to 2.5in?  Also I just saw they have Red Crystal Shrimp instead of Cherry Red Shrimp.  Is that OK?

10 Gallon Tank

5 Harlequin Rasboras (2")
3 Dwarf Chain Loaches (2.5")
1 Honey Gourami (2 in")
6-8 Red Crystal Shrimp

-Lori

Answer
Sounds like a good stocking. Just make sure you have a decent amount filtration as that is a large stock. Oh and it sounds like you are going by the inch per gallon rule, I wouldn't listen to it, it causes overstocking.

One last tip, buy 6x Red Cherry Shrimp and allow them to breed. Those shrimp breed very fast. I ended up buying 8x for my tank and six months later I have over 20.

- Ash

Fish

Ash WolFF