Fish/Ballon Molly fish

I love ballon mollies, I have 8 female and 2 male.  In a 10 gal. Tank .  Every time a female give birth she dies.  Today one gave birth and she died like 12 hours later and all her 19 babies . Can you tell me what is happening ?

I used API stress coat , top fin water clarifier, API stress Zune +, API 5 in 1 test strips, the food is aqueous tropical flakes, some times I give my fish Wardell shrimp pellets and omega one dried

79 f
8.0 Kh 40. Gh 180
2bulds 1 fluorescent and a regular 1

Hi Mary,
 That is very peculiar and I do not know the answer. How often are you doing water changes? Ideally, you should be changing 25% of the water once a week, every week, to keep your fishes happy and healthy. That is the only thing that comes to mind.  

-- Ron C.
  Cichlid Research Home Page <>

Ron Coleman

I am an expert on cichlid fishes, particularly New World cichlids. My broader expertise includes the behavior, ecology and reproduction of fishes in general. (I am NOT an expert on Goldfish). Please do not use abbreviations, such as "my GT has a swollen eye" because I don't know what a "GT" is. The more clearly you can explain your question, the better chance I have of understanding what it is that you seek. I keep fishes both as a scientist and as a hobbyist and I currently maintain about 140 aquariums.

I am an Associate Professor at the California State University, Sacramento in the Department of Biological Sciences, and I run a website, called the Cichlid Research Home Page . I also write for many popular aquarist magazines, and I was editor of Cichlid News magazine for several years. I am a scientist and I spend my time teaching fish biology, ecology, behavior and evolution and doing research on the reproductive biology of fishes, particularly cichlids. I do research in the laboratory and in Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Mexico. My main interest is understanding the evolution of parental care in fishes. I am interested in encouraging greater public awareness, understanding and participation in science.

Cichlid News, Tropical Fish Hobbyist, Freshwater and Marine Aquarium, Science, Behavioural Ecology and Sociobiology, Copeia, Canadian Journal of Zoology, Trends in Ecology and Evolution, AUK, Environmental Biology of Fishes

PhD (Toronto, 1993) MSc (Simon Fraser, 1986) BSc (British Columbia, 1983)