Fish/Betta fish

How old/young do betta fish have to be to breed? I've heard many different answers, and thought it would be best to hear from an expert.

Hello Abby, As far as betta's go it is not so much age as it is size. That rule applies with most fish. You want to breed bettas that are full grown as opposed to juveniles. You will know that they are by introducing the female to a tank right next to the male. The male will court at any age and typically males you buy from the store are old enough to breed. The main thing to watch out for is the females. A lot of times the stores get females that are younger because they generally have less color than the males do. They also stay smaller because they do not need the flashy fins that males do. I would wait until they were at least two inches in length before breeding them to a male. The process itself can tear the female up a little bit so make sure that your water quality is very good! You wouldn't want her to get any diseases while she has an open wound. If you have any further questions for me feel free to respond back. I hope you have good luck with breeding the bettas! Check out youtube for methods and guides as well.

Jordan Gobely

I can answer most questions about fish care and maintenance. I am not an expert on saltwater aquariums but I am researching more about them on a daily basis. I have kept many different tropical freshwater fish as well as cichlids. Brackish water is my weakest category but if you have a question feel free to ask and I will do research on it myself.

I have kept fish for over 10 years. I am also an employee at a pet store and the head of the fish department. I am going to school at Emporia State University and studying biology with a concentration in ecology and biodiversity for undergraduate work. Right now my job is to care for and maintain the fish department at a local pet store. As far as water quality, I am well versed in different practices you can do to help improve conditions and what levels to look out for when testing the water.

I am majoring in Biology at Emporia State University and have researched fish reproductive behavior for the past decade.