Fish/Betta fish

Question
How old/young do betta fish have to be to breed? I've heard many different answers, and thought it would be best to hear from an expert.

Answer
Hello Abby, As far as betta's go it is not so much age as it is size. That rule applies with most fish. You want to breed bettas that are full grown as opposed to juveniles. You will know that they are by introducing the female to a tank right next to the male. The male will court at any age and typically males you buy from the store are old enough to breed. The main thing to watch out for is the females. A lot of times the stores get females that are younger because they generally have less color than the males do. They also stay smaller because they do not need the flashy fins that males do. I would wait until they were at least two inches in length before breeding them to a male. The process itself can tear the female up a little bit so make sure that your water quality is very good! You wouldn't want her to get any diseases while she has an open wound. If you have any further questions for me feel free to respond back. I hope you have good luck with breeding the bettas! Check out youtube for methods and guides as well.

Fish

Jordan Gobely