Fish/Catfish and Silver dollars

Hi Richard, Just want to know if I can put a 5" yellow bullhead catfish that my son-in-law caught from the creek in with silver dollars in my aquarium? Is it safe or will he go after my silver dollars(they are anywhere from 4"-6"in size)? If it's ok do you know what they eat?

Hi Patti

I would prefer the yellow bullhead be released back into the creek rather than put in an aquarium. He would be ok in the tank as a juvenile, but will likely quickly outgrow the tank. He will eat the silver dollars eventually, but they will probably be ok while the bullhead is small.

If you keep him, they eat shrimp pellets, algae wafers, brine shrimp and small live food. He will also eat anything you feed the silver dollars. Also keep in mind they feed at night.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Richard Hight

I own and maintain several freshwater aquariums from 2 to 180 gallon. I can answer most questions about freshwater aquariums, including setup, cycling, maintenance, compatible tank mates, feeding. Moving? I've moved fish both across town and across the country and can help you get your little aquatic friends to their new home safely. I know and have experience with most freshwater community fish, South American Cichlids and African Cichlids. I don't answer questions about Goldfish or keeping Goldfish with Tropical Fish. I also don't answer questions about keeping crustaceans (shrimp, snails, crabs etc) with Tropical Fish, nor questions about saltwater fish or aquariums. I'm not available to answer questions on weekends, this is when I do maintenance on my own tanks.

Many years of personal experience with fish and aquariums

HSG 2010-2011 prof