Fish/Fish seems conspitated

My Betta has not pooped in days, and has a horribly swollen stomach. He seems very depressed and stressed. I have been feeding him peas, to no avail. I suspect he may have ingested a pebble (or more than one), as I found a blood covered pebble in the filter the other day. Any thoughts? What should I do?

Hello, I am sorry to hear about your problem. The betta has an internal fluid build up. The survival rate is low for this particular infection. There is not a ton you can do, my main recommendation is that you add an antibacterial medicine to your water in a low dose. Do this for two days and if nothing improves, do a water change and add 1 teaspoon of epsom salt to the water. Leave that for 15 minutes and then do another water change. Hopefully everything works out for you!

Jordan Gobely

I can answer most questions about fish care and maintenance. I am not an expert on saltwater aquariums but I am researching more about them on a daily basis. I have kept many different tropical freshwater fish as well as cichlids. Brackish water is my weakest category but if you have a question feel free to ask and I will do research on it myself.

I have kept fish for over 10 years. I am also an employee at a pet store and the head of the fish department. I am going to school at Emporia State University and studying biology with a concentration in ecology and biodiversity for undergraduate work. Right now my job is to care for and maintain the fish department at a local pet store. As far as water quality, I am well versed in different practices you can do to help improve conditions and what levels to look out for when testing the water.

I am majoring in Biology at Emporia State University and have researched fish reproductive behavior for the past decade.